A resume is an essential means of getting a job. It gives a brief overview of the work history, education, and skills of a person. When choosing among the bunch of resumes, the hiring manager glances at the resume header first. Therefore, it is vital to prepare an attractive and eye-catching resume header.
Related: Resume Title Examples for Any Job
The resume header is the most fundamental and significant component of a resume based on which a person gets selected for an interview. It includes information regarding the name, job title, and contact number of an applicant.Writing Tips and Examples of Resume Header
A perfect resume header comprises the name, email address, job title, phone number, and social media information of an aspirant. The header is placed at the top of the resume. However, it can be at the center, right, or left of the resume.
- The name mentioned in a header should not be the nickname of the applicant. Instead, the applicant should use his formal name here to give a decent impression.
- The current job title of an applicant, below the name of an applicant, indicates the position he/she is applying for in his resume.
- In the contact information, the listed phone number should be active as it is the primary source of contact through which a hiring manager contacts a person.
- The second thing after the phone number that a hiring manager uses is the email address to contact the candidate. Therefore, the email address used in the resume must be professional instead of unprofessional.
- Nowadays, recruiters go for LinkedIn profiles to hire people. It is optional to use a LinkedIn profile in the resume header. However, if an applicant is using his LinkedIn profile here, then it is essential to make sure that the LinkedIn profile is up to date.
There are usually three kinds of resume headers.
- Standard or horizontal resume header – The information is stated horizontally beneath the name of an applicant.
- 2-page resume header – is used when the applicant has vast work experience data and can not fit it into one page.
- Vertical resume header – When the resume header is placed vertically at the right or left side of the page.
Some examples of resume header format are:
Professional Use of Resume Heading
Application tracking system (ATS) is software that is used by the HR department to select the best candidate according to the relevant information and resume heading. It is vital to consider all the necessary tips in mind to furnish a professional resume heading. Firstly, the font size of the resume heading should be 13-14 maximum. Meanwhile, the font style can be Times Roman, Calibri, Georgia, or Aerial. Secondly, resume headings should be capitalized and written concisely.
Two-Page Resume Header and Example
A two-page resume header is adopted when the work experiences and, skills, and abilities of the highly polished candidate exceeds one page even after eliminating irrelevant data. It is widely used for managerial or executive positions.
In this, the resume header is added on both pages. The header on both pages includes the information mentioned above. Nevertheless, ‘page two’ should also be written on the second page to avoid any confusion.
+44 8000 78111
Emily Cooper – page 2
+44 8900 71234